Valtteri Bottas stayed calm in a stormy race on Sunday to claim a measured victory for Mercedes as Formula One returned with a bang in a belated, dramatic and incident-strewn 2020 season-opening Austrian Grand Prix. Seven months after the final race of 2019, the Finn, who had started from the 12th pole position of his career, led from start to finish to come home ahead on the road of team-mate six-time champion Lewis Hamilton. The Briton, however, had been given a five-second penalty during the race and was demoted to fourth behind Charles Leclerc, who brought his Ferrari home second and Briton Lando Norris who claimed his maiden podium for McLaren. Hamilton, hit with a late pre-race grid penalty that dropped him from second to fifth, had clashed with Red Bull’s Alex Albon in the final laps, forcing him into a spin off track.” “There was definitely quite a bit of pressure on me there,” said Bottas, speaking through a face mask afterwards. “One Safety Car was ok, but I was like ‘another one? And come on?’ Lewis was quick, but I was able to control it.” Leclerc admitted the result was a surprise after Ferrari’s dismal form in practice and qualifying. “I did not expect this – it’s a huge surprise, but a good one. We did everything perfectly to finish second.” Norris said: “I’m speechless – there were a few points where I thought I had fudged it. I am so proud of the team for coming back from where we were a couple of years ago.” In a race of three Safety Car interventions, run behind closed doors at the Red Bull Ring, Ferrari-bound Carlos Sainz finished fifth in the second McLaren ahead of Sergio Perez of Racing Point. Pierre Gasly was sixth for Alpha Tauri and Esteban Ocon eighth on his return to racing with Renault ahead of Antonio Giovinazzi of Alfa Romeo and Sebastian Vettel, the four-time champion in his final season at Ferrari, finishing 10th. Before the race even started, there was drama when six of the 20 drivers opted against taking a knee to protest against racism. Hamilton wore a Black Lives Matter t-shirt, while other drivers, who all lined up with him at the front of the grid, sported black tops saying “End Racism”. – Six drivers opt not to take knee – Promoted Content14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Is This The Most Delicious Food In The World?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeePortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D Graffiti7 Worst Things To Do To Your Phone9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreBest Car Manufacturers In The World Loading… On a very warm day in the Styrian Alps and following a late Red Bull protest that pushed Hamilton to fifth from second on the grid, Bottas was coolness personified. At lights out, he pulled clear to open a gap ahead of the battling duo of Verstappen and Norris behind him. Hamilton, fired by his penalty for ignoring yellow flags in Q3 on Saturday, was soon in a rhythm and by lap ten was up to third, 10 seconds behind Bottas and seven off Verstappen. Within a lap, he was second when Verstappen slowed, his engine spluttering, gifting the champion a pass to pursue the leader as the ‘black arrows’ took control. “I’m not quite sure what happened yet,” said Verstappen after his retirement. “I think it would have been an easy podium and third would have been a decent start.” A full 217 days after the last race, many teams struggled for reliability and it was clearly a battle of attrition led, almost inevitably, after their practice domination, by Mercedes until lap 25 when Kevin Magnussen went off at Turn Three in his Haas following brake problems. This brought out a Safety Car. On resumption, the luckless Vettel tangled with his future replacement at Ferrari, Sainz, at Turn Three. The four-time champion spun after hitting the McLaren and fell to 15th while Sainz retained seventh. At the front, Bottas led, but Hamilton closed up. On lap 52, Mercedes’ meander was rudely interrupted when Haas’ Romain Grosjean went off and George Russell stopped in his Williams and a second Safety Car was deployed. With 17 laps to go, Mercedes stayed out as their rivals pitted, Albon taking softs for a late charge, but another crash when Raikkonen’s Alfa Romeo lost its front right wheel at the final corner, brought a third Safety Car. With 10 laps left, Bottas led and Albon attacked Hamilton, but, as in Brazil last year, the pair clashed and Albon spun into the gravel, rejoining in 13th. Leclerc and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen had confirmed a split among F1 drivers when they said they would not take a knee on the grid, but that they remained committed to fighting racism. Carlos Sainz of McLaren, Danil Kvyat of Alpha Tauri, Antonio Giovinazzi and Alfa Romeo team-mate Kimi Raikkonen also chose to stay on their feet. Read Also: UFC: Kamaru Usman sends message to Masvidal after open challenge The stewards handed Hamilton a five-second penalty, followed by an identical penalty for Perez, for speeding in the pit lane. “It’s still quite fresh so I’ve got to be careful what I say but there’s nothing to add apart from how frustrating that is,” admitted Albon. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Six of the 20 drivers opted against taking a knee
Adrian Bevington only joined Villa in March 1 Adrian Bevington has left his advisory position with Aston Villa, the club have announced. Former Football Association executive Bevington joined the club to review and evaluate the managerial position and playing staff at Villa Park in March.He follows David Bernstein and Lord Mervyn King out of the club, after the pair quit the relegated side last month stating their new football board had found it impossible to implement a new structure.Bevington told the club’s official site: “I explained to [chairman] Steve Hollis a few weeks ago that I would not be looking to take on a full-time role with the club, but agreed to remain as an advisor until the end of the season.“I know how hard Steve is working on a number of levels and I hope he can conclude the ownership and managerial positions very soon.“I have enjoyed working with Steve and Brian Little – a man who clearly cares so much for the club and will do everything he can to help it succeed.“I’d also like to make particular reference to Eric Black. Eric has been a true professional to work with after taking on the manager’s role in the most difficult circumstances.“There is a huge amount of work ahead for Aston Villa FC. A club of its size with its great support should be competing at the higher levels of the Premier League, not in the position it currently finds itself.“To move forward, now more than ever, it is crucial the club makes the right calls on the big decisions it is faced with.”Chairman Hollis, who himself only joined Villa in January, thanked Bevington for his help. “I’d like to place on record my thanks to Adrian for his contribution and professionalism,” he said.“Over a short period of time, he has provided a great deal of football knowledge and experience – both to the club and to me personally.“Adrian gave me his word he would remain with the club until the end of the season. Now that time has come we wish him well for the future with his various football commitments.”Villa were relegated from the top flight for the first time since 1987 in April and finished bottom of the Barclays Premier League with a club-record low total of just 17 points. Former Leicester chief Nigel Pearson and ex-Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo are the frontrunners for the manager’s job with caretaker Eric Black not expected to stay at the club. Owner Randy Lerner is also closing in on a sale, which could be concluded within weeks.
Housing Minister Damien English says he is committed to a lasting solution for the families in Donegal that have been affected by Mica defective concrete blocks in their homes. Donegal Sinn Féin Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has welcomed the reassurances from the Housing Minister.Senator Mac Lochlainn was speaking after participating in a Sinn Féin delegation led by the party’s Housing Spokesperson, Eoin O’ Broin TD, meeting with Minister English in Leinster House, to push for a Mica Redress Scheme for the affected homeowners in Donegal and Mayo. Also in attendance was Mayo Senator Rose Conway Walsh.Speaking following the meeting, Senator Mac Lochlainn said “I attended the meeting last December in Carndonagh where the Minister outlined to the Mica Action Group, affected families and local public representatives the actions that he had taken since the publication of the Expert Panel Report in June, 2017. We all left that meeting hopeful that the Government would move towards a Mica Redress Scheme and that the affected homeowners would be supported by the State in making their homes safe and sound”“At this evenings meeting, I conveyed the serious frustration in Donegal with the slow progress in implementing the first two key recommendations from the Expert Panel Report (the establishment of a simple standardised protocol for assessing the damage to homes and recommending remedial actions and need for this to be carried out by a competent registered professional).”He added that himself and his colleagues reiterated the absolute necessity of a Mica Redress Scheme. The Minister outlined that he expects to have the draft protocol from the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) on his desk soon and that he would then seek to fast-track the next public consultation process to a period of weeks rather than months to reflect the delays in the process this year.Engineers Ireland will then train up a panel of qualified professionals so that they can apply the agreed protocol when assessing the damage to the affected family’s homes and recommending remedial measures.In tandem, the Minister advised that he is ensuring the progression of legal measures and advice required to move to the stage where family homes in Donegal and Mayo can be made safe.Senator Mac Lochlainn concluded “I welcome the reassurances from Minister English this evening. But there will no complacency from me and the people of Donegal. We will not accept anything short of a full Redress Scheme”.Minister commits to lasting solution for families affected by MICA was last modified: May 3rd, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:blocksdonegalMICAredress schemeSolution