Vatican reports first case of coronavirus inside its walls

first_imgThe Vatican said on Friday that a patient in its health services had tested positive for the coronavirus, the first in the tiny, walled city state surrounded by Rome.The discovery brought the epidemic to the heart of the capital of Italy, the worst-hit European country. The death toll in Italy, where the virus has hit mostly in the north, stood at 148 on Thursday.A Vatican spokesman said the case was diagnosed on Thursday and that services in Vatican clinics had been suspended to sanitize the areas. Topics : Most Vatican employees who use its health services live in Italy on the other side of the border with the 108-acre city state.Bruni gave no details on whether the person who tested positive was such an employee or among the relatively few clergy or guards who live inside its walls.The Vatican has said Pope Francis, who cancelled a Lent retreat for the first time in his papacy, is suffering only from a cold that is “without symptoms related to other pathologies.”last_img read more

Flickers of joy in China’s virus ground zero mask deep fears

first_imgFinal-year high school students in the city and the surrounding Hubei province will return to school from May 6, officials said Monday, while many workers have already returned to their offices.”It may take a while, but things are moving in a good direction,” Bai Xue, a 24-year-old Wuhan resident, told AFP. A bride in a long white gown poses by Wuhan’s East Lake with her groom, face masks off momentarily as a photographer snaps pre-wedding photos.At a nearby park in the central Chinese city, a grandfather swings his tiny grandson in a hammock strung between trees while families with tents and picnic mats make the most of a sunny Sunday afternoon.Signs of life unimaginable during the recently ended lockdown at the coronavirus pandemic’s ground zero have appeared in recent days, as Wuhan returns to work and play days after lifting a 76-day quarantine on April 8. Onlookers join a man singing and dancing near a bridge by the Yangtze river, while swimmers dive into the water elsewhere along the bank, even as public spaces around the world fall silent under the shadow of the pandemic.Wuhan’s malls and convenience stores reopened in late March, initially requiring visitors to submit to strict temperature checks and show a code on a special app that assigns each person a color-based rating depending on their level of infection risk.By Saturday, some smaller stores were allowing customers in without any checks, while boutiques at the Hanjie outdoor shopping mall had stopped checking health codes.Even traffic jams have returned, with cars slowing to a crawl on the way to the Wuhan train station and in tunnels under the Yangtze during rush hour last week. Topics :center_img ‘Staying alive’ After dark, Wuhan remains a shadow of its former self.Most nightclubs and bars are still forbidden from operating, with authorities on Sunday warning against the reopening of “self-contained entertainment venues”.The American-themed Hot & Crazy Sugar Daddy by the Yangtze river was the only establishment open in its neighborhood Friday night — and completely devoid of customers.In the area near Wuhan University, streets were empty Saturday as roadside eateries popular with students remained closed.The Huquan Night Market lay silent behind plastic barricades.Wuhan residents told AFP they were wary of celebrating too much, too soon.”My life isn’t good,” said Li Xiongjie, a 30-year-old local who said the epidemic had left him unemployed.”Just staying alive is a victory, staying alive is the most important thing.” Uncertain future But while new infections in the city have dwindled as the city recovers, fear of asymptomatic carriers and cases re-imported from overseas has stopped Wuhan from fully letting down its guard.Commuters are urged to scan QR codes on subway trains to register the exact car they take, while lines of people seated on plastic chairs a safe distance apart stretch outside banks across the city.Residential communities continue to monitor people entering and leaving compounds, while barricades remain on many streets in the metropolis of 11 million people.Wuhan has reason to be fearful: After emerging in a live animal market late last year, the virus spread like wildfire across the city, infecting more than 50,000 and killing over 3,800 — a toll revised upward last week after authorities admitted errors in counting victims.The industrial city also faces great economic uncertainty, with businesses ranging from wholesale market sellers to cat cafes telling AFP that losses incurred during the lockdown have made rents unaffordable, while continued restrictions on movement within the city are hurting sales.”We have very, very few customers,” said Han, the 27-year-old owner of a soy drink stall in central Wuhan.”Everyone is worried about asymptomatic infected people,” she said. “Business is just not as good as before.”Authorities are trying to boost spending, releasing nearly $71 million of “consumption coupons”, offering discounts at supermarkets, malls, restaurants and bars across the city.But many restaurants have not reopened, and those operating are only allowed to offer outdoor seating or takeout — making post-lockdown celebrations nearly impossible.last_img read more

Sean McVay addresses Jared Goff’s future with Rams

first_img Rams’ Todd Gurley won’t be every-down back because of knee, report says Goff has led the Rams to back-to-back NFC West titles. He reiterated that his focus is on improving as a player, rather than worrying about an extension.”You definitely think about it,” Goff said of his next contract. “But at the same time, I know that none of that is even possible without playing on the field, and being available on the field. I’ll just continue to do what I’ve been doing the last few years, and hopefully it will take care of itself.”Since joining the Rams, Goff has completed 62.1 percent of his passes for 9,581 yards with 65 touchdown passes. He also has a 24-14 record as a starter and two Pro Bowl selections. “Any of the things or narratives that are out there ⁠— Jared Goff, as long as I’m fortunate enough to be in this role, hopefully this guy is stuck with me for a long time,” McVay told reporters Tuesday.”He’s an outstanding leader. People make a deal about this system, (but) he’s the reason why (it works). Our players are the reason why the system is what it is, because (Goff) can do so many different things. … He’s got true ownership, a great ability to communicate with his teammates, and with him leading the way, we feel really good.” Related News Carson Wentz contract won’t affect timing of Jared Goff’s deal with Rams, team exec sayscenter_img Rams head coach Sean McVay dismissed any concerns around the contract status of quarterback Jared Goff. After Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, the No. 2 pick behind Goff in 2016, signed a massive record-breaking $128 million extension last week, questions shifted toward Goff’s long-term future with Los Angeles following a season in which Goff led his team to February’s Super Bowl while running the offense. #LARams LIVE: Sean McVay Minicamp Press Conference https://t.co/kn2hMNFjQi— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) June 11, 2019Goff, on the other hand, said he’s not concerned about his next contract. He has two years remaining on his rookie contract. If he doesn’t receive an extension this offseason, he will earn a base salary of $4.3 million in 2019. After that, Los Angeles can exercise their fifth-year option and pay him roughly $22 million in 2020.”It’s not for me to worry about,” Goff told reporters. “It’s for the team and my agent to work on, and keep doing what I’ve been doing on the field, and hopefully it will take care of itself.”last_img read more

Thursday’s Elf in the Shelf clue…

first_img“101 Your dough is safe here.”Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

Wires: Davis given five game suspension

first_img Lemieux and team president Ken Sawyer wouldn’t identify the interested parties. Most of the prospective buyers approached them before Isle of Capri Casinos Inc. offered last month to pay $290 million for a new arena, if the gambling firm gets a license to operate a slot machine parlor in Pittsburgh. Klitschko for mayor Former WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko is running for mayor. The boxer ended months of speculation Thursday by announcing plans to run for mayor of Kiev, the Ukrainian capital. “I love my native city Kiev and want to make life better there,” Klitschko said. Slutskaya wins title Irina Slutskaya never dreamed of topping Sonja Henie or Katarina Witt. Now the Russian stands above both greats. Slutskaya won her record seventh title at the European figure skating championships Thursday, breaking the mark she’d shared with Henie and Witt. Slutskaya finished with an overall score of 193.24 points, easily beating fellow Russian Elena Sokolova. She clapped her hands on seeing the scores, and said “Seven, seven, seven,” into TV cameras. Briefly Tom Nugent, a College Football Hall of Famer who was credited with developing the I formation at Virginia Military Institute and later coached at Florida State and Maryland, died Thursday. He was 92. Nugent died of congestive heart failure at a local nursing home, his family said. U.S. captain Claudio Reyna signed a one-year contract extension with Manchester City in England’s Premier League. The 32-year-old midfielder has scored four times in 53 appearances since joining Manchester City from Sunderland in August 2003. Indiana freshman forward Lee Nguyen signed a 3 ½-year contract with PSV Eindhoven. The 19-year-old was the 2004 national boys soccer player of the year and was on the U.S. roster for last year’s FIFA World Youth Championship for under-20 teams. A former Carolina Panthers cheerleader received six months probation for her role in a bathroom brawl sparked by accusations that she was having sex with another cheerleader. Angela Keathley, 26, pleaded guilty Wednesday to disorderly conduct and obstructing a police officer during the Nov. 6 fight, which broke out when women in line to use the bathroom made the allegations about Keathley and fellow cheerleader Victoria Renee Thomas. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Golden State Warriors guard Baron Davis was suspended one game without pay by the NBA on Thursday for hitting Seattle’s Luke Ridnour in the chest. Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxson was fined $15,000 by the NBA for verbally abusing referees after a loss to Denver. New York Knicks forward Antonio Davis was suspended five games by the NBA on Thursday for entering the stands during a game at Chicago to confront a fan he thought was harassing his wife. While the ruling by NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson showed the league accepted Davis’ argument that he believed his wife was in trouble during Wednesday’s game, it also made clear that entering the stands would not be tolerated, no matter the circumstances. “We have made it plain to our players and our fans that players may not enter the spectator stands, no matter the provocation, and that violations of this policy will be treated with the utmost seriousness,” Jackson said in a statement. center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Flip Saunders of the Detroit Pistons will coach the Eastern Conference in the NBA All-Star game Feb. 19 in Houston. Coaches for the East and West squads are determined based on teams with the best winning percentage in each conference after the games of Feb. 5. The coach of the West squad has not been determined. Charlotte Bobcats forward Sean May had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, likely bringing his rookie season to an end. Pens for sale The Penguins are considering several offers to buy the team, and keeping it in Pittsburgh will remain a priority but is not guaranteed. A recent offer by a casino firm to build a new arena, an influx of young talent and the NHL’s new collective bargaining agreement have made the time right to consider selling, Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux said Thursday. last_img read more

LETTERKENNY COMMUNITY CENTRE WIN COURT BATTLE OVER KUNG FU INJURY

first_imgLETTERKENNY Community Centre has won a High Court action after being sued for a former weightlifting champion.Omagh man Neil Bradley claimed he was unable to work after suffering injuries during a jujitsu session at the centre.The 40-year-old had sued the centre and jujitsu instructor Josie Murray over injuries suffered in November 2005. Mr Bradley told said he had hurt himself when he and an opponent were trying to take the legs from under each other during a sparring session. Mats that should have been locked together weren’t and he sustained his injury in the fall.He had to have surgery on his injuries but continued to suffer from the effects of the injury, he said.Fergus O’Hagan SC, for the centre, put it to Mr Bradley he was claiming €189,000 for loss of earnings and wanted the defendant to “pay him until 65 for doing nothing.”In his judgment, Mr Justice Iarfhlaith O’Neill dismissed the case saying the mats were just two years old and in good condition and highly unlikely to move.He said that the evidence of Mr Bradley had “an air of improbability” and concluded the accident did not happen in the manner alleged.The judge said Mr Bradley had made no mention of the mats when he started his legal claim in March 2006.The judge said the evidence persuaded him the accident was caused by the unexpected tripping attempt by Mr Bradley resulting in his opponent coming down on Mr Bradley’s outstretched leg.Mr Bradley, he said, had sustained injuries but this was not due to any negligence on the part of the centre or the instructor.The case was dismissed and leave for appeal was allowed.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comLETTERKENNY COMMUNITY CENTRE WIN COURT BATTLE OVER KUNG FU INJURY was last modified: December 7th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:COURT BATTLEJUJITSULETTERKENNY COMMUNITY CENTRElast_img read more