EDMONTON, A.B. — While four of their younger fellow teammates were at AA Provincials in Chilliwack, seven senior members of the Inconnu Swim Club travelled to Edmonton last weekend to participate in the OSC Mystery Meet.The meet was put together with very short notice, and was hosted to enable athletes to try and attain qualifying times for the Speedo Western Canadian Open meet in April. With new regulations put in place this year by Swimming Canada, swimmers can only qualify for the meet with long course qualifying times, meaning that they must compete in a 50 metre pool. Since nearly all swimming pools in the Peace Region are 25 metres in length, the meet was the only opportunity for Inconnu’s swimmers to be able to qualify for the Western Canadian Open.Of the seven swimmers that made the trip, three were able to make the qualifying standards. Brittany Welsh, Eric Louie and Tate Haugan all qualified, while Haugan also qualified for the Junior Canadian Championships in July in his last swim of the meet.- Advertisement -Head coach Steve Carson said that the meet was the first chance for the Inconnu to swim in a 50 metre pool this year. Carson explained that no matter how many years the athletes have been swimming, it can be difficult for the body to adjust to a course that has doubled in length. So far this year, Inconnu’s swimmers have swam more than 575 kilometres in training, all of it in the 25 metre lap pool at the North Peace Leisure Pool. Before they competed in the long course pool they were able to get in three and a half kilometres to try and get used to the new distance.Carson said that with the tournament being put on with such short notice, and with Alberta Provincials this coming weekend, there were no more than 100 swimmers competing at the meet. This in turn meant that the swimmers would complete one events and then get right back up onto the blocks for the next with very little rest.In an attempt to motivate the team coach Carson put his beard on the line, offering the next swimmer to make a qualifying time to shave his beard however they liked, which Carson would sport for a week. In his last swim of the meet Tate Haugan came through, and Carson will be spending the next few days with a Harvey Dent-style beard.Advertisement Carson added that he was extremely proud of how all the team’s athletes rose to the challenges at the meet with the amount of pressure that was on them.The Inconnu Swim Club will be travelling to Victoria next Wednesday to compete at the Swim BC AAA Provincials, starting Thursday March 2nd.
Housing Minister Damien English says he is committed to a lasting solution for the families in Donegal that have been affected by Mica defective concrete blocks in their homes. Donegal Sinn Féin Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has welcomed the reassurances from the Housing Minister.Senator Mac Lochlainn was speaking after participating in a Sinn Féin delegation led by the party’s Housing Spokesperson, Eoin O’ Broin TD, meeting with Minister English in Leinster House, to push for a Mica Redress Scheme for the affected homeowners in Donegal and Mayo. Also in attendance was Mayo Senator Rose Conway Walsh.Speaking following the meeting, Senator Mac Lochlainn said “I attended the meeting last December in Carndonagh where the Minister outlined to the Mica Action Group, affected families and local public representatives the actions that he had taken since the publication of the Expert Panel Report in June, 2017. We all left that meeting hopeful that the Government would move towards a Mica Redress Scheme and that the affected homeowners would be supported by the State in making their homes safe and sound”“At this evenings meeting, I conveyed the serious frustration in Donegal with the slow progress in implementing the first two key recommendations from the Expert Panel Report (the establishment of a simple standardised protocol for assessing the damage to homes and recommending remedial actions and need for this to be carried out by a competent registered professional).”He added that himself and his colleagues reiterated the absolute necessity of a Mica Redress Scheme. The Minister outlined that he expects to have the draft protocol from the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) on his desk soon and that he would then seek to fast-track the next public consultation process to a period of weeks rather than months to reflect the delays in the process this year.Engineers Ireland will then train up a panel of qualified professionals so that they can apply the agreed protocol when assessing the damage to the affected family’s homes and recommending remedial measures.In tandem, the Minister advised that he is ensuring the progression of legal measures and advice required to move to the stage where family homes in Donegal and Mayo can be made safe.Senator Mac Lochlainn concluded “I welcome the reassurances from Minister English this evening. But there will no complacency from me and the people of Donegal. We will not accept anything short of a full Redress Scheme”.Minister commits to lasting solution for families affected by MICA was last modified: May 3rd, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:blocksdonegalMICAredress schemeSolution