Newman out of coma tells his mother he was attacked by three

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppUnited States, June 27, 2017 – Fort Lauderdale – Kevin Newman, the man shot on Grace Bay in Providenciales this past Friday is out of the medically induced coma and his family is calling his recovery owing to the prayers and support they have received, to Kevin’s will to keep on fighting and a very good God.In speaking to Newman’s mother, who is likely travelling right now, en route to her son who celebrates his 39th birthday tomorrow, WRBL News3 in Columbus, Georgia revealed that Newman is doing much better at hospital in Ft Lauderdale.Newman’s mother Karen said, “he remembers, he is in good memory, he is still in pain of course, he’s got a long way to go…. (the bullet) went through the vein, right next to his heart, caused him to bleed internally and they had to give him a lot of blood, they had to take one of his kidneys.”In that interview via telephone with the TV station, Mr. Newman’s mother said there were three men who attacked her son.  “He’s a fighter, and I think he did try to fight those three people who tried to come up to him.   He’s a family man, he is a great man, he does everything with his son… he is just all around a great person, but you know sometimes things happen even to good people.”The TCI Ministry of Tourism said, “We are shocked and saddened regarding the incident that occurred on one of our islands, in the early morning of June 23, involving a visitor to the destination.   He and his family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers while doctors continue to monitor his recovery.   A criminal act, whether against a resident or visitor, is never something taken lightly and there is a heightened and concentrated effort to identify the individual(s) responsible.   The Turks and Caicos Islands are a popular and peaceful destination known for its pristine beaches and relaxed atmosphere and this type of occurrence sends a ripple through the entire community.   The safety of all those on these islands is always our top priority and remains as such.   The Ministry of Tourism is in complete cooperation with our acting police commissioner who has increased visible security.  We ask that everyone cooperate with authorities as needed.”Kevin Newman, was in his final day in the TCI and called this a ‘bucket list’ vacation, his mother asked for continued prayers.#MagneticMediaNews#KevinNewman Related Items:#KevinNewman, #magneticmedianews Recommended for you Newman out of coma, tells his mother he was attacked by three menlast_img read more

Esquire Debuts Weekly TabletOnly Magazine

first_imgTo keep up with the rapidly changing desires and habits of readers, Hearst’s Esquire is introducing a new weekly tablet edition, the company announced late last week.Esquire Weekly will feature original content and will include a mix of columns, essays and excerpts, and will focus on broader trends like its monthly counterpart, but will also be more reactive to the news of the week. To get a sense of how this new hybrid lifestyle and news weekly will work, FOLIO: caught up with David Granger, the brand’s editor-in-chief, and Joe Keohane, senior editor of Esquire Digital.FOLIO: Why make a weekly tablet edition? David Granger: One, because we like the idea and we think our readers will like it too. It’s cool and new, something no one has really tried before, and Esquire has always had a soft spot for trying cool new things. Two, until we started the weekly, our tablet readers only had a reason to use the app once a month. We want to prompt them to spend more time with it. Three, digitally we have two distinct audiences: The monthly subscribers to our tablet version of the magazine, and Esquire.com readers (who come to the site mostly through social media and searches). The weekly is a way for us to bridge that gap and give more to the digital subscribers, who are missing a lot of great stuff online. By giving them more great stuff—right now $20 gets you the monthly, the Weekly and the Big Black Book—we’ll hopefully retain more of them, and attract more new subscribers.FOLIO: What kind of content will be in this weekly digital edition? Is it exclusive or will it be found on the Web and in the monthly as well? Joe Keohane: Both. It’s a mix of columns by Esquire megafauna like Charlie Pierce, AJ Jacobs, Stephen Marche and Josh Ozersky, along with a mix of essays, features, excerpts, and short-form pieces by Esquire staffers and select freelancers. We conceived it as a sort of Esquire Express: Something smart, funny, insightful, moving, and beautifully presented—everything you expect from the monthly—but “snackable,” in the parlance, designed to be consumed in a sitting or two.There likely won’t be any overlap between the weekly and the monthly, though the weekly is perfectly positioned to run, say, follow-ups of big stories that run in the magazine. There will be exclusive material in the weekly that will stay in the weekly, but there will be some overlap between it and Esquire.com. For instance, A.J. Jacobs’ column will be exclusive to the weekly for six days, and then we’ll release it online. Other columns may run online at the same time they come out in the weekly, or maybe a bit before. Some will be totally exclusive. We’re taking it on a case-by-case basis to ensure what goes into the weekly is always sharp and timely. FOLIO: Will the content be more focused on timely news than the monthly counterpart?Joe Keohane: There are different kinds of timeliness. The monthly is all about anticipating what is going to be on people’s minds or creating stories of such originality that they create their own news. Esquire Weekly will be able to be a little more reactive. It will be very timely. The ideal is to create stories and designs that meet the editorial and design standard of the monthly, but do so at the velocity of the Web.  FOLIO: How did you determine the price?  David Granger: It’s free for digital subscribers, of course, but $0.99 just seemed right for it. We wanted to keep the price low to entice people to buy it, and then hopefully subscribe to the monthly.  FOLIO: How does this fit into Esquire‘s larger audience development, marketing and sales strategy? David Granger: We’ve done a good job at driving people to download the app but most of the people who downloaded it in the early days didn’t do much with it once they saw that it was nothing more than a purchase opportunity. Now we have completely redesigned the shell and broadened our product offerings. We want to give readers more reasons to decide to buy Esquire once they download the app. Now, we have a variety of products at various price points, as well as the opportunity to let them know that there is something new happening in the Esquire app on a more regular basis. Stay updated on the latest FOLIO: news, follow us on Facebook & Twitter!last_img read more

Comcast hooks you with internet and cable TV Video games could be

first_img $999 Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Comments $999 Apple iPhone XS Sprint $999 Analysts say that’s drawn the attention of media conglomerates and tech giants flush with cash and looking for a new way to grow. At the same time the devices you play games on now, such as the Xbox, PlayStation and Switch, are primed to disappear in the next decade, replaced by a superfast connection that allows you to play games over the internet the same way you watch Netflix today.The technology, called game streaming, could lead to a shakeup among game makers like Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft and Bethesda Softworks, and is expected to be a major topic at next week’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Google is expected to use its upcoming presentation at GDC to unveil a gaming service built off its Project Stream technology, first shown last year. Xbox and EA say they want to offer game streaming too. And as larger companies like Comcast and its competitors look to jump into the game world, they may use their substantial bank accounts to buy game makers like Nexon for their expertise.”Gaming is very international these days,” said Mike Vorhaus, a media analyst and CEO of Vorhaus Advisors. He added that any company hoping to join the fray needs to learn not just how to make a good title, but also stuff like how to give away free games like Fortnite and then make money after. And it’s a plus if the games resonate outside the US and Europe too. “With Nexon, you get a company and a brand that’s done very well in Asia and understands free-to-play games.”Big tech companies are increasingly looking toward the gaming world. Getty Images Surprising fitNexon was founded in Korea 25 years ago and has specialized in online games for PCs and mobile devices. Its CEO is Owen Mahoney, a veteran of EA. And it’s best known for MapleStory, a free game in which players travel a fantasy world defeating monsters, exploring dungeons and creating unique characters. The game, which you can play with friends, boasts “hundreds of hours of adventure.”The company also makes Dungeon Fighter Online, a game in which you fight your way through dark worlds and dungeons. It was particularly popular in China and eventually drew more than 600 million players worldwide.That kind of success would be catnip to a company like Comcast, analysts say, bringing expertise in large online games while also expanding its business outside the US.Comcast has shown interest in video games before. The cable and internet giant, which also owns NBC Universal, teamed up with EA to bring game streaming to TVs in 2015. The experiment, called Xfinity Games, offered people a chance to stream games like the tongue-in-cheek strategy game Plants vs. Zombies. The project fizzled out, but it explains why Comcast might have considered a more serious move into gaming. “Comcast would get a front-row seat, ostensibly, and build its ‘gamer-grade Internet’ under the Xfinity brand,” said Joost van Dreunen, head of Nielsen’s SuperData Research. reading • Comcast hooks you with internet and cable TV. Video games could be next 17 Photos Deep pocketsIt may seem implausible that a big company with little history making games would suddenly want to buy in. But that’s just what Microsoft did when it blasted onto the scene in 2001 with its Xbox video game console, instantly making it the next big competitor to Sony and Nintendo.Now more tech giants are lining up to take on the industry.Beyond Google’s announcement, Apple, already a massive video game distributor through the App Store, is rumored to be using its deep pockets to fund a subscription game service. (The company is expected to announce a Netflix-like video streaming service on March 25.)Rear View Of Boy Playing Video Game On Computer In DarkroomYou may soon count Comcast, Google and Apple among the major game makers. Getty Images Facebook, which helped turn Zynga’s FarmVille into a household name, has built several game services over the years. And in 2014, it bought Oculus VR for more than $3 billion, instantly making it one of the leaders in the video game industry’s much-hyped virtual reality push.Amazon, for its part, has already invested billions of dollars on video games, be it through buying the popular game website Twitch for $1 billion in 2014 or various game studios like Double Helix that same year.Whether Nexon ultimately goes to Comcast or another giant is still uncertain. Either way, it’s clear that the game’s about to change. See All Best Buy 1:14 Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X See It See It Electronic Arts (EA) Amazon Comcast Microsoft Sony Nintendo Apple See Itcenter_img Not too long from now, when you’re ready to play your next big game, it may be on something other than Microsoft’s Xbox, Sony’s PlayStation or Nintendo’s Switch.You might play it by connecting to a device or service coming from Apple, Google, Amazon or even Comcast.That’s right, Comcast. The cable and internet giant reportedly has bid or has considered bidding for Korean gaming company Nexon, which makes the popular online role-playing game MapleStory, according to a Korean business newspaper. Comcast is up against Amazon and Apex Legends maker Electronic Arts, which are also said to be in the mix.Representatives from Comcast, EA, Amazon and Nexon either declined to comment or didn’t respond to requests for comment.The news of Nexon’s potential sale serves as a reminder that the entertainment landscape is rapidly changing. As companies look for the next big thing beyond music subscriptions, internet connections and selling you the next iPhone, video games may hold a key.The already huge $138 billion video game industry has produced cultural phenomena like the battle royale games Fortnite and Apex Legends and competitive sports franchises like Riot’s League of Legends. Each of those games is free to download, but they charge extra for flair like a dance move or a different look for your character. And people are buying. Epic’s Fortnite alone is estimated to have rung up $2.4 billion in revenue last year. Share your voice Apple The 17 most anticipated video games of 2019 Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? 4 Boost Mobile Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR New Xbox may stream games Tags $999 Now playing: Watch this: See it • Culture Tech Industry Gaming Mobile CNET may get a commission from retail offers.last_img read more

Caught on cam Security guard stabbed to death by colleague at Gurugram

first_imgGetty ImagesA security guard at a Gurugram hospital was stabbed to death by his colleague on April 5, Friday. The incident took place at 5 am when the accused and the victim had an altercation on the third floor of the hospital. The victim, 25-year-old Jugal Kishore, who was from Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, was guarding the ICU ward when he was stabbed, reports Hindustan Times.The incident was caught on five CCTV cameras installed on the floor.According to reports, Naufil Anwar, the accused, was seen entering the hospital and stabbing Jugal and fleeing the scene. However, later, he told other guards of his crime and asked them to call the police.Jugal suffered from 15 stab injuries on his face, stomach, chest and hand.”In the footage, Anwar is seen walking towards the hospital with a knife and entering the hospital premises, after putting the dagger in his trousers’ pocket. He is then seen climbing the hospital stairs with slight difficulty as he tries to hide the dagger in the pocket. He is then seen going up to the third floor and dragging the victim across the stairs,” Shamsher Singh, the assistant commissioner of police (crime), was quoted as saying by HT.”Two minutes later, they are seen in a scuffle, which ends with the accused stabbing the victim multiple times, leaving him dead. The camera of the hospital has also recorded the accused fleeing the spot after the victim fell down,” he added.After Anwar fled the scene, a group of 10 people surrounded Jugal who was in pain. However, none of them helped him.When the police received a phone call saying that a man was murdered in the hospital. A team rushed to the spot and shifted Jugal’s body to the morgue. The police believe that personal rivalry between the two could have been the cause of Jugal’s murder.last_img read more

Mans sliced body parts found in Buriganaga

first_imgPolice recovered sliced body parts of a man from the Buriganga River in Keraniganj upazila of Dhaka on Friday night.The body parts were found in a sack floating in the river.Local people spotted the sack floating in the river in Kholamora Gazirghat area of the upazila around 7:00pm and informed police, said Keraniganj model police station sub-inspector Mansur Ali.Later, a team of police retrieved two legs and two hands of a man’s body wrapped with polythene, reports UNB.Mansur said they sent the sliced body parts to Sir Salimullah Medical College Hospital morgue for autopsy.last_img read more

Fakhrul says admin AL turn into public enemy

first_imgBangladesh Nationalist Party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir. File PhotoBNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Saturday said the people’s voting right has been snatched once again through ‘state terrorism’ during the 11th national election.”The administration and Bangladesh Awami League have absolutely turned into ‘public enemies’ through snatching the voting rights of people,” he said.The BNP leader was talking to reporters during a break at a restaurant in Cumilla on his way to Subarnachar upazila in Noakhali to see the woman who was gang-raped after election in the early hours of 31 December.Fakhrul said a reign of terror was createdbefore, during and after the polling day, and a sense of fear has been prevailing in the country since then.Condemning the incident of gang-rape in Noakhai, Fakhrul urged people to come forward to resist such violence. “We hadalso talked to the Election Commission and asked it to take steps to stop the violence.”President of Krishak Sramik Janata League Kader Siddiki and BNP leader Shahid Uddin Chowdhury Annie were also present.The woman, a mother of four, was gang-raped at Charjubli village in the upazila on 31 December by a gang of 10-12 men after the general elections.last_img read more